At the 61st ICCA Congress in Kraków, past-President James Rees announced that two of our most esteemed colleagues - Roslyn McLeod and Christian Mutschlechner – were to receive one of our highest accolades: Honorary Membership. Here we’d like to briefly reflect on Roslyn and Christian’s many years of valued service to both ICCA and our industry.
Roslyn has a long and involved relationship with the ICCA congress, attending her first one in 1985. She joined our organisation in 1987 after recognising ICCA as an invaluable resource to connect with the international events scene, establish excellent networks, and enjoy the many benefits of an extensive knowledge exchange programme.
Roslyn served on the ICCA Board on two different occasions, firstly between 1996 – 2000 and again from 2002 – 2004. In 1998, in recognition of Roslyn’s excellent work providing speaking tours and translation services, she was asked to Chair the 37th ICCA General Assembly and Congress held in the country she’d grown to know so well: Japan.
Away from ICCA, Roslyn filled numerous high-profile positions, receiving many awards reflecting the respect and regard in which she is held. A few of these titles and accolades include:
- Founder of Arinex Pty Ltd
- Co-Chair of the INCON Group
- Member of the Asia Pacific Starwood MICE Advisory Board
- Director of the Business Events Council of Australia (BECA)
- Council member of the International Association of Professional Congress Organisers (IAPCO)
- President of the Rotary Club of Sydney
- Past President of Meetings and Events Australia (MEA)
- Board member of the Sydney Convention & Visitors Bureau and the South Australian Tourism Commission.? ?
In 1999 Roslyn was awarded the Australian Commonwealth Government’s Member of the Order of Australia (OAM) for her outstanding contribution to the Australian tourism and meetings industry.
Christian is a true advocate for ICCA and the business advantage ICCA brings to our members. He has been extremely active in the meetings industry since 1977.?Christian’s commitment to ICCA saw him serve a highly effective term as ICCA President between 2002 - 2006. He continues to support our global activities to this day.
Christian’s unique and extensive resume shows the value and impact of his leadership. In 1986 he took on the Deputy Management role of what was then known as the ‘Conference Office and Sales Promotion’ of the Vienna Convention Bureau. Between 1991 – 2019 – a remarkable period of time in post – Christian headed it’s CVB. Under his stewardship, Vienna enjoyed significant growth in its congress business, regularly achieving the coveted number 1 position in ICCA’s city ranking annual statistics.
Christian’s other high-profile positions and accolades include:
- President of the Austrian Convention Bureau
- President of the European Federation of Conference Towns
- Winner of the Joint Meeting Industry Council Unity Award 2010
- Induction into the Convention Industry’s Hall of Leaders 2011
In 2016, Christian was presented with the IBTM World Lifetime Achievement Award
Honorary Membership is reserved for a small and distinguished number of individuals and recognises an immense breadth of service to our associations, our members, and our whole industry. Congratulations once more to Roslyn and Christian – the latest members of a very select club. Thank you for all you have done for ICCA and our wider community.
- Email Contact